WordPress e-Commerce is more than just another WordPress Shopping Cart Plugin. In a sea of competitors, but with years of experience under their belts, Instinct’s WP e-Commerce Plugin still stands head and shoulders above the rest.
Our developers are simply gaga over this amazing plugin, and here’s why:
LightSpeed and the WP e-Commerce Plugin
LightSpeed has a long history of supporting the WP e-Commerce plugin. In those rare cases that it has fallen short of our needs we’ve been happy to help out with fixes to the code, like when our fix to the coupon code was integrated into WP eCommerce with version 126.96.36.199.
WP E-COMMERCE DRIVING VIVI-KOLA
Our WordPress website solution for new client Vivi Kola involves an online store with multiple payment gateways, shipping and taxes.
Examples of LightSpeed using the WP e-Commerce Hooks and Filters
WP e-Commerce’s many hooks and filters allows our developers to write Plugins for WP e-Commerce in much the same way that you can write a Plugin for WordPress itself.
It allows us to add extra information to a product if the standard one does not have what you want, like adding a barcode image in addition to the SKU “stock keeping unit”.
We can also build custom Payment Gateways that integrate seamlessly with the plugin or as an additional menu when you click “add to cart” which lets you select how many products you want added to the cart ( instead of clicking add to cart several times).
Our developers have been actively working on the Members Access Plugin – which allows you to sell access to password protected pages and posts on your website – extending it and adding functionality.
WordPress e-Commerce: A dream for developers
When compared to the other e-Commerce Plugins available for WordPress, it’s clear that the WP e-Commerce Plugin is the platform for growth and better suited to developers.
Instinct held off releasing their the latest version (WP e-Commerce 3.8) for two years to ensure that the new release is a lean and slick thing of beauty. It is half the size and has half the code of the original, with many features stripped out and reshaped into Plugins, adding to the extensibility of the core Plugin.
As a result the latest 3.8.x release version has the most refined feature set of all the WordPress e-Commerce Plugins. These features include:
- Radically improved theming capabilities. Now the frontend is controlled via normal WordPress theme files.
- Over 200 hooks and filters for developers. This superior offering of hooks and filters allow us to add additional capabilities to your site without having to edit the plugin.
- Extensive Developer Documentation has everything you need to know to get started.
- Utilizes Custom Post Types, WP taxonomies for Product Categories and Variation Sets
Of the other options out there, no one has the community around it that WPEC does.
The reason WP e-Commerce has the community it has is two-fold.
- Engagement – Dan and the whole Instinct crew are highly involved in contributing to the WordPress community through attending, speaking at or sponsoring WordCamps, contributing code back to WordPress core, as well as supporting the community by funding open-source development. Through their community work they have got core WordPress developers to assist in improving the plugin architecture, this has proved invaluable.
- Developer outreach – WP e-Commerce has a community of developers that spans the entire globe. With over 200 hooks, WordPress e-Commerce has made it incredibly easy for an ordinary guy to build something special on top of it.
- Support – excellent assistance and integration with premium WordPress themes. WordPress e-Commerce offers it’s users the opportunity to contribute on the community Support Forum, comment on the GetShopped.org Blog and customers of their Premium Plugins can make use of the complimentary Premium Support service.
Beyond WP eCommerce’ ease of use for the more seasoned developer, it also has a whole stack of advantages over it’s closest competitors for the less tech savvy web builder:
- The installation process and configuration of the various settings is extremely simple and easy to understand
- Adding additional products is easy
- Easy customization using widgets
- Marketing and cross promotion tools are available
- A wide range of payment gateways are built into the plugin. These include PayPal, Google checkout, Chronopay, Authorize.net and many more
Exciting things coming up
Currently we are working with Instinct on developing a Canvas Child Wootheme. We hope that this code will be adopted as part of the WooCommerce framework, and help contribute to the start of the much anticipated WooCommerce.
We will launch a demo of this canvas child theme on feedmyshop.com soon. Keep an eye on this space!
When taking all the features, the community commitment and constant quality of the plugin into account, we are left with no other verdict: WP eCommerce is simply the best WordPress e-Commerce plugin out there, and there can be no substitute.